Advertisement

Department Head Gets Bail In PPE Tender Fraud Case

Department Head Gets Bail In PPE Tender Fraud Case… Mpumalanga co-operative governance and traditional affairs (Cogta) head Samkelo Ngubane has been released on R10,000 bail by the Nelspruit magistrate’s court in connection with a R6m personal protective equipment (PPE) tender.
Department Head Gets Bail In PPE Tender Fraud Case

Advertisement

 

His appearance came after he handed himself over to the Hawks on Monday.

There was a warrant of arrest that had been issued against him.

Ngubane joins Raymond Manzini, 45, a deputy director of disaster management under Cogta, his younger brother Chris Manzini, 33,  and Moses Ndlovu, 61, who owns Zalabantu Estate Trust.

The other accused were previously released on R15,000 bail each.

Advertisement

According to the Hawks, the Manzini brothers and Ndlovu are charged with fraud, corruption and contravention of the Public Finance Management Act.

READ ALSO;   Judge Maumela Has His Hands Full At Senzo Meyiwa's trial

“Their arrest followed an investigation related to the tender which was advertised by the department of Cogta for the supply of personal protective equipment whereby during the process of the tender and the appointment, the company of deputy director Raymond Manzini’s friend, Moses Ndlovu, was appointed unlawfully with the influence of the deputy director.

“After the appointment was made, Ndlovu did not have resources to supply the PPEs, and was financially assisted by Manzini. After the delivery of the items, he invoiced the department and then repaid Manzini by depositing R6m into the deputy director’s younger brother Chris Manizini’s account,” said Hawks spokesperson in Mpumalanga Cpt Deneo Sekgotodi.

READ ALSO;   25-year-old man accused of killing Nosicelo Mtebeni pleads guilty

During Ngubane’s appearance on Monday afternoon, his lawyer Obert Ntuli told the court that his client cannot be painted with the same brush as the other accused as Ngubane was only charged with a schedule one offence and his bail cannot be the same as that of the other accused.

“The state doesn’t have a formal charge sheet or a charge faced by my client. The state tells this court that he [Ngubane] is charged with a schedule one offence but [it turns out they do] not have a charge or a preamble with what he is alleged to have done.

READ ALSO;   South Africa: Army officer arrested for cash-in-transit heist

“The investigation emanates from an investigation of the SIU [Special Investigating Unit] which doesn’t implicate my client. [By being] charged, it seems that the intention is to embarrass him and paint him with the same brush with the other accused.”

The court granted Ngubane bail and postponed the case to July 28 for further investigation.

 

More Gist >> Hype  Gist

Advertisement
..
Advertisement
Spread the love
Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.