Kentucky governor says missing persons tally is down to zero following devastating tornado event.. A week after devastating tornadoes ripped through the Mid-South, the governor of Kentucky said there are no longer any missing persons that have been reported.
Gov. Andy Beshear shared the statistic at a press conference on Saturday, calling the tornado event the “most destructive in our history.”
“Today, right now missing persons based on this tornado event are at zero,” Beshear said Saturday. “Our hope is that means we won’t see many, maybe any, more deaths, but remember there are still a number of people in the hospital. I don’t have a report on how significant injuries are, so it could grow.”
The death toll has hit 78, Beshear said, although he noted that the public health department has only confirmed 75. Authorities are looking at “whether those three individuals have been counted in other counties” to understand the disparity.
Beshear added that at least one person has died during the clean-up process.
“Seventy-five or 78, that’s just a huge number of Kentuckians to lose. We mourn with their families,” Beshear said. “Today, we did increase the amount that we are providing from the Team Western Kentucky Fund for funerals. We want to make sure that we take care of these people.”
While Kentucky was hit especially hard by last week’s storms, tornadoes also struck Arkansas, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Missouri. One person was killed in an Arkansas nursing home, while six were reported dead at an Amazon warehouse in Illinois.