Michigan attorney general takes swipe at Oxford school officials for rejecting her offer to investigate the shooting… Michigan’s attorney general took a swipe at Oxford school officials for rejecting her offer to conduct an investigation of last week’s deadly high school shooting, saying that she hopes district leaders care as much about student safety as they do “shielding themselves from civil liability.”
Attorney General Dana Nessel said in a statement Tuesday that she was “extremely disappointed” that Oxford Community Schools declined her offer to do a third-party review of the November 30 shooting at Oxford High School that left four students dead and seven others wounded.
“This tragedy demands a united effort from all of us who serve the Oxford community,” Nessel said.
Nessel, speaking Tuesday in an interview with CNN’s Don Lemon, said that the district had opted instead to hire a private firm.
“Obviously, we hope that the school district cares as much about the safety of their students as they do shielding themselves from civil liability,” said Nessel.
The Oxford school district did not immediately respond to a request for comment by Insider on Tuesday.
Nessel added that her office will continue to assist the ongoing criminal investigation into the shooting “in any way that we possibly can.”
“We’re going to talk to the community,” said Nessel. “We’re going to talk to the parents and the students in Oxford and see what it is that they want to see.”
A 15-year-old shooting suspect has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder and a terrorism-related charge.
His parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, have been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection to the shooting.
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald told CNN on Monday, “We haven’t ruled out charging anyone,” when asked whether school officials may be prosecuted.
More Great Stories On >> HypeGist