Gov. Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi has confirmed that no fewer than 97 bodies have been recovered from the boat mishap that happened recently in kebbe state.
the governor said this in Birnin Kebbi when he received a delegation of members of House of Representatives on a condolence visit to the people and government of Kebbi over the incident.
recall that a boat that was moving from Lokon Minna, Niger, which was transporting traders, artisanal miners and other passengers, capsized at Warrah, Ngaski and killed more than 100 lives on June 2.
Represented by Secretary to the Kebbi State Government Babale Umar-Yauri, the governor said that the bodies had been buried while 22 people were rescued.
Babale extended the goodwill message of Kebbi government to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, for his condolences, care and love to the people of the state.
The delegation also visited the palace of the Emir of Yauri, Dr Muhammadu Zayyanu-Abdullahi.
Wase said: “As leaders, all hands must be on deck to evolve correct, effective and permanent solution to mishaps of boats and canoes on the waterways.
“As members, we shall examine the causes of recurring maritime transport accidents with a view to coming up with measures and avoid recurrence of mishaps.
“It is a colossal loss not only to Kebbi but the entire country. “It is our fervent prayers that Allah will give their families the fortitude to bear the loss”.