Six people including three children lost their lives in a shack fire during the early hours of Thursday morning in Kariega in the Eastern Cape.
It is alleged that the cause of the fire is a candle that was left alight during rolling blackouts while the family was asleep.
According to the police report, three children aged between three and eleven years perished and three other adults aged between 22 and 48 years old also died in the fire.
#sapsEC Six people including three children tragically lost their lives in a shack fire during the early hours of this morning, 24/11, in Kamesh. Police have opened an inquest docket for investigation. NP https://t.co/aKMckHNH5J pic.twitter.com/SgLn7s4QYy
— SA Police Service 🇿🇦 (@SAPoliceService) November 24, 2022
Police spokesperson Priscilla Naidu has urged residents to be extra cautious when using alternate lighting during power cuts.
“On arrival, the shack was completely gutted to the ground. It is further alleged that it was load shedding and the family went to sleep, leaving a candle burning. The mother woke up when the shack had already started burning. The woman and her husband managed to escape through a window, however, the remaining six people could not get out in time. ”
“The neighbours assisted in dousing the flames with buckets of water while waiting for the fire brigade to arrive. The couple’s three children, Asciwalise Ngqina (3-year-old boy), Asipile Ngqina (6-year-old female) and Ibanathi Ngqina (11-year-old female) died in the fire. Three other adults aged between 22-48 years old who were also in the house, died. Their names are yet to be established and their next of kin to be traced”
“The mother of the children sustained burn wounds to both her arms and hands. She was treated on the scene by paramedics while the father sustained burn wounds on his face and arms. He was taken to hospital for further treatment,” adds Naidu.