The Gauteng Department of Health denies that it faces a financial and food supply crisis at the province’s public hospitals

The Gauteng Department of Health denies that it faces a financial and food supply crisis at the province’s public hospitals

Gauteng
 The Gauteng Department of Health denies that it faces a financial and food supply crisis at the province’s public hospitals—

The Gauteng Department of Health has denied that it faces a financial and food supply crisis at the province’s public hospitals, following concerns raised by staff at Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital (CHBAH) in Soweto, Johannesburg.

“Honestly speaking, the department is not in a financial crisis, and we must state that openly. The one thing we should take note of, is that funding for health is a key priority for the province,” said the department’s chief financial officer Lerato Madyo.

She was speaking on Friday during a media briefing at CHBAH after the department met with the hospital’s management and stakeholders.

Gauteng Health MEC Dr Nomathemba Mokgethi reassured patients at CHBAH bread supply shortages at the hospital, due to a failure to pay suppliers on time, had been fully resolved.

READ ALSO;   SAA cancels Mauritius flights following latest travel ban

“We want to allay the fears to our people that have loved ones admitted at Bara Hospital that we know that there have been issues around bread supply, but that issues been since resolved because the service provider did not supply bread due to non-payment,” Mokgethi said.

This followed reports that bread had run out at CHBAH, due to the department’s failure to pay food suppliers on time. Some doctors said they had to dig into their own pockets to buy patients food, including bread and milk.

But Mokgethi dismissed the reports that all hospitals in the province were affected by the shortages.

READ ALSO;   Bid to interdict Ramaphosa from receiving state capture report struck from roll

She only confirmed that CHBAH, and a few other facilities, did experience a short supply of bread for about three weeks, but other food items were available.

“As for other food stuff, there has been food in the hospital. We want to put it out there to our people that don’t get worried; there is food in this hospital,” she said.

The CEO of CHBAH, Dr Nkele Lesia, said during the shortages in the supply of bread, the facility had mitigation strategies in place.

“Maybe the strategies didn’t go far enough. As I’ve said, if you procure bread from petty cash, you can’t get 500 loaves of bread, you get less. But it doesn’t mean there was no alternative; it’s just that our patients preferred bread,” Lesia said.

READ ALSO;   Australian Open seed gives Lloyd Harris a boost

Basani Baloyi, the department’s deputy director-general for corporate services, said there were security personnel protesting at the hospital and the department’s offices.

Baloyi said the workers were not employed by the department but by one of its former contractors, whom they had grievances.

She said could not intervene on the matter, and as a result, they obtained a court interdict against them.

“They were threatening the security of our infrastructure and that of staff, and they have been blocking employees from accessing the building,” Baloyi said.

More Gist >> HypeGist.

 

..
Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.