Tourists begins to leave China’s Inner Mongolia after a swift lockdown
China’s Xinhua news agency said on Friday that transport had been arranged out of the area for some 500 travellers.
They left Inner Mongolia on a train for the eastern city of Zhengzhou.
Localised lockdowns were imposed last week and a strict stay at home order was issued for everyone in the Ejin Banner on Monday.
Residents and tourists were told that “those who violate the rules… will face severe punishments according to the law.”
Given the region’s landmass and comparatively small population, there have been reports of people struggling to get food and necessities.